top of page

About the Project

Westwick Lock House is an 18th Century lock keepers cottage built by the Newby Hall Estate in 1776 as part of the development of the river Ure from Boroughbridge to Ripon. Over the years many parts have been added, but not always sympathetically.

Sadly abandoned in 2015 a ground up restoration was started in 2019.

Phase one saw new handmade Accoya sash windows fitted throughout, a new roof and a full repointing along with underpinning and subfloor works making the building watertight and waterproof. Widespread landscaping and drainage works were also completed to improve the land quality.

Phase Two will see the property extended by >1000 sq ft and the existing 2250sq ft building fully refurbished to the highest of contemporary design and finish standards, using traditional materials and building methods where possible.

WLH Ariel 202206 001_edited.jpg
bottom of page